Slice TV is ready to host Big Brother Canada when it debuts in February 2013, but before we can get there they’ll need a house to shelter all those HGs. Earlier this week Slice released the first glimpse of the house’s construction as a little Halloween treat.
Not much to see so far except for the trapdoor they’ll use to sneak Rachel Reilly in. I kid, I kid! Best part of a series debut? No chance of retreads!
The casting for Big Brother Canada may have closed but the new series is still in search of its host and thanks to an anonymous source we have an inside look at which TV personalities may be in the running to be Julie Chen’s new counterpart to the north.
While we have to trust our source on validity (and we do), all of the mentioned names are plausible options for the host role on Canada’s own Big Brother. Let’s take a look at who is allegedly in the running.
Cheryl Hickey– Cheryl is the current host of ‘ET Canada’ which means she’s already in the Global Television family which owns Shaw which runs Slice, the future home of Big Brother Canada. [Wikipedia] Update: Cheryl tweets she won’t be involved since finale is around her due date.
- Josie Dye – Josie has the background of both television and radio as the current host of her radio show “Josie’s Top 20” which is broadcast across Canada. She is also the host of Cosmopolitan TV’s “Oh So Cosmo.” [Wikipedia]
- Matte Babel – Matte is another TV personality already in the Global Television Network family and has worked along with Hickey on ‘ET Canada.’ You may remember Babel from BB14’s media day as one of the test-run houseguests. Up’ing his chances is his background as the host of another reality series, ‘Canada Sings’ which is also on Global TV. [Wikipedia]
- Rosey Edeh – Rosey, another TV personality and Global employee, covers the traffic and weather for Global’s ‘The Morning Show’ along with being a co-anchor on ‘The News at Noon.’ She’s worked for CNN, NBC, and MSNBC which seems to make her a more formal host option. Edeh is roughly ten years older than the other names on this list. [Wikipedia]
- Trevor Boris – Trevor takes us outside the “another TV host from Global” realm. He’s a comedian, writer, and most recently a producer for “Canada’s Got Talent.” He also has a background of TV hosting with “I Now Pronounce You…”. [Wikipedia]
Keeping in mind that CBS opted to use a host from their own network for BBUS it wouldn’t be surprising to see someone from the Global TV network fill this role. Cheryl and Matte seem to be well positioned from their entertainment television roles, but remember that Julie Chen was on the newsfront at CBS when she was drafted to be the host which gives Rosey strong consideration. There’s no word on when a decision will be made and with Canada’s Big Brother debut scheduled for February 2013 there should be plenty of time to work through the list.
Having had limited exposure to names on this list it’s difficult for me to favor one possibility over another so I’d be interested in readers’ opinions on who they think would be best suited to helm BBCA. Your thoughts? Who should host Big Brother Canada?
Big Brother Canada casting continues this week with the first in-person open casting call event. There are five events over the next four Sundays starting September 23, 2012 so you’ll have several opportunities to get to one of them.
If you’d rather not travel or aren’t able to attend these you can still apply through the BB Canada application website. There’s no need to apply both in-person and online.
There are several very important rules, but be sure to check the official list for any updates. You’re not allowed to camp out or arrive before 6AM at the events. You must be available for callbacks on the following Monday or Tuesday after the event so keep that in mind if you’re traveling from far away. Bring a valid government issued photo ID.
Big Brother Canada Casting Event dates and locations:
- Vancouver – Sunday, September 23, 2012, 8AM to 2PM, Vancouver Convention Centre, 1055 Canada Place, Vancouver, BC V6C 0C3 – Map
- Calgary – Sunday, September 30, 2012, 8AM to 2PM, Sheraton Eau Claire, 255 Barclay Parade Southwest, Calgary, AB T2P 5C2 – Map
- Montreal – Sunday, October 7, 2012, 8AM to 2PM, Palais Des Congres De Montreal, 159 Rue Saint-Antoine Ouest, 9e etage, Montreal, QC H2Z 1H2
- Halifax – Sunday, October 7, 2012, 8AM to 2PM, World Trade & Convention Centre, 1800 Argyle Street, Halifax, NS B3J 2N8 – Map
- Toronto – Sunday, October 14, 2012, 8AM to 2PM, Fairmont Royal York Hotel, 100 Front Street West, Toronto, ON M5J 1E3 – Map
Best of luck to all the Big Brother Canada attendees!
Slice is working hard to make the debut season of Big Brother Canada as awesome as possible and they know the pressure is on. While they may be taking a lot of pages from the Big Brother US playbook, nothing wrong with that, they’re also working hard to make it uniquely their own.
Check out the new logo Slice has released for Big Brother Canada. I’ve got to say I like it a lot. They make good use of that empty space that’s always hanging out of “brother.” Very slick. I wonder if this will push CBS to offer up a new design next year.
What do you think of the new look for the Canadian version?
Don’t forget to have your BBCA applications ready to go because the new season will be here soon. Even the casting events are coming up very fast. Get all the details on the BB Canada casting events. Will you be applying to be a new HG?
The Big Brother Canada casting website is now live! Get ready for your chance to be part of the first Big Brother exclusively for our friends to the north.
The application website offers a brief form to complete with these basic instructions:
- Fill out the application form in one sitting
- Make sure you have a RECENT picture of yourself (no hats or sunglasses)
- Make sure you have a video ready to upload that’s less than 3 mins
If you don’t include a video then your application will NOT be reviewed or considered.
You’ll have to provide easy details like your full name, address, relationship status, and familiarity with Big Brother. You’ll also get to add a short bio and when I say short I mean 70 words or less short. The video clip has to be 3 minutes or less and they even provide some excellent tips on what makes a great video.
If you’d rather not make a video then Big Brother Canada open call casting events will still be held. No event details have been released so far, but we’ll continue to monitor and provide information when they’re announced. Be sure to join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Email updates to receive that info sent when it’s released.
The application deadline is October 16, 2012. Casting indicates the callbacks will begin in September 2012. Finalists will be notified by December 20, 2012.
Will you apply for Big Brother Canada? Let us know in the comments. Good luck!